Pages

Tuesday 7 December 2010

Following Ariadne's Clew - Artur Bispo do Rosario

Well here we go again, following Ariadne's thread through the labyrinth of needlearts. I am so pleased MOI posted a link to Artur Bispo do Rosario's work as a comment to last night's post. I had never heard of Arturo's work across the world in Brazil, and now here I am, mesmerized and spellbound again. Arturo died in in 1989 when he was about 80. Age is unimportant when you are poor and live at the margin of society. It only seems to be important now that Arturo's work has become the hottest art export, even though the man himself never claimed to be an artist. He was simply a collector and upcycler of found objects, creating his own world of meaning while hospitalized suffering from paranoid schizophrenia. And also garments and standards made from hospital linen embroidered with unpicked threads from hospital uniforms in which,anticipating the day, he could stand before his Maker. Thank you for showing me this.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you like it! I believe Arthur's life and work deserves be more known outside Brazil.

    ReplyDelete